Thursday, February 8, 2007

Breath of Fresh Air (Albuterol)

Today was a big day, I had my appointment at U of MI Hospital. We learned a lot today. I was 20 and 3/8 inches long and I weighed in at 7 pounds 11 ounces. My weight gain is still going very well. They showed Mom and Dad a few treatments to begin. First, I have a nebulizer with Albuterol. This medicine helps break up the thick mucus in my lungs. I'll use the nebulizer twice a day for my whole life. Here are a couple pics of my first treatment tonight.




The next thing we learned was the method to help clear the mucus from my lungs. This treatment is called percussion and postural drainage. Mom and Dad will use a small cupped tool to repeatedly hit my chest and back to help break up the mucus on my lungs. There are multiple positions that we must do two or three times a day for the rest of my life as well. When I'm older I'll get a special vest that does the percussion for me. Here are a couple of pictures of Dad doing my first percussion tonight.


Finally we met with a dietician and she explained the "dream diet" to us. I am supposed to eat all the fatty crap I want as I grow up. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. Those terrible foods are actually good for me!! I'll get lots of junk food because it will help me gain weight. I also get a lot of butter and salt with everything!! Dad only wishes he could eat everything I'm going to eat. The doctor's say that good weight gain also helps me have healthy lungs. I'm going to be a junk food junky!!

One last very positive note; the nurse was talking about the adults with CF that they treat at the U. She said they have patients that are 50, 60, and even 70 years old that have CF and come to see them just like me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke. Grandpa Larson here its good to know you are starting your teatments now. You should be able to do anything you like if you follow a few rules. I just read an article in the paper about a guy with cf who at 30 is teaching tae kwon do and leading a very active life. It was only 20 below zero last night so I think it's starting to warm up. Hugs and Kisses. Talk to you later.

Josh said...

Lukey Luke, Whats up man? Glad to hear that you are still gaining so much weight. You will get to eat plenty of junk food in your life. That should be cool. You will probably be sick of it by the time you are an adult. Well take care, have fun with the P's, and we will be hangin soon.
Uncle Josh

Unknown said...

Hey... thanks for hanging out yesterday, Luke. Maybe next time we can ditch the old man.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lukie...good job little man, you are handleing it all so well. You even have the look on your face to your Mom, like don't worry Mom, I'll be just fine!! And of course you will. My nephew's best buddy is in his late 20's (and has CF) and can't believe the changes coming up all the time...and the junk food is good...ha ha. Lots of people (like me) love you and say extra prayers for you and your Mommy and Daddy. Love Cousin Candy B

Jessica said...

Hi Luke, you look like you did great with your new treatments and I bet that really helps mommy and daddy out. You are such a good little boy and such a handsome one at that. Looks like we have a future heartbreaker on our hands. I can't believe how much you have changed since I saw you last month-looking great buddy! Love ya, Jessica

G'ma and G'pa Otteman said...

Hi Luke. I'm sorry you had to get all those shots but I think it was probably harder on Mom and Dad than you. Good job with the treatments though. If Dad gets too rough pounding on your back just call DHS for child abuse. Maybe they'll give custody to G'ma and G'pa Otteman. Then I'd have an excuse to eat all that junk food with you and G'pa Otteman couldn't say a word. We'd even let Mom come and stay with us, just not Dad. Keep gaining kiddo. Can't wait to see you next month. Love, G'ma Ann.
P.S. Give Mom and Dad a great big hug for us. Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow.