Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Smart Vest

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I just wanted to write a quick note to let everyone know that my new Smart Vest arrived. This was a pleasant surprise for Mom and Dad because when I was born we were told I wouldn't have a vest until I was at least 5 years old. This is one of those little things that lets us know medical advancements are always happening. The vest performs my percussion treatment all by itself so Mom and Dad can quit pounding on my chest, back, and sides to help clear my lungs. I can wear the vest during my medications I inhale with my nebulizer and I never have to be turned upside down like I did when Mom and Dad did the percussion.

The vest works by using High Frequency Chest Wall Oscillation (HFCWO). HFCWO creates a gentle and rapid "SQUEEZE and RELEASE" action around the chest from 5 to 20 times per second. The SmartVest® delivers air pulses supplied to the body from the generator via the unique inflatable vest, with a unique single hose design, giving the patient more maneuverability during treatment. The action of rapidly compressing and releasing the chest creates air pulses, or air flows, within the airways that act like repetitive "mini-coughs". For those of you that want to read more you can go to http://www.electromed-usa.com/ to read more. Here are a couple pics of me doing my treatment with the new vest:

That's the only real news I have. I've been keeping busy playing in the house the last couple of weeks due to the extreme cold and all the snow we've been getting. I did get out a little so I could help Daddy shovel the snow.

It looks like it may warm up a little next week so maybe I can get my snowsuit on and play outside. Until then I'll have to stay inside and play with my favorite toys like my mop and broom. Take care everyone. Hugs and Kisses,

Luke William

1 comment:

G'ma and G'pa Otteman said...

I can't believe mom and dad are making you shovel that snow! I think there are laws against that. That's a pretty cool vest you have. You look pretty sharp in it. We love you and miss all of you. Love, G'ma and G'pa